PCC’s Adult Basic Education for College and Career division invites you to celebrate National Adult Education and Family Literacy Week, September 21-26, 2015 http://national-coalition-literacy.org/2015/08/national-adult-education-and-family-literacy-week-is-coming/.
This month, Representative Jared Polis (D-CO) will introduce, for the seventh year in a row, a House resolution designating the week of September 21st, 2015 as National Adult Education and Family Literacy (NAEFL) Week!
In addition, for the fifth year in a row, Senator Patty Murray (D-WA) and Senator Lamar Alexander (R-TN) will introduce a Senate resolution that also recognizes this important honorary week which celebrates the achievements of adult education in the United States.
This year’s NAEFL week will not only celebrate the critical role that adult education, English language services, and family literacy play in our country, but the opportunities that lie ahead in the implementation of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA). The law calls for a strengthening of our adult education programs so that learners can both improve their literacy and prepare for post-secondary education and employment.
PCC Adult Education serves approximately 5,000 students each year who, according to Laurie Kierstead-Joseph, Advanced Program Manager of Adult Education Services, “need to strengthen their basic literacy and math skills, improve their English, study for a high school equivalency (HSE) diploma, and prepare for community college or vocational training.”
To recognize this national celebration and the achievements of adult literacy students, Pima will be sponsoring and participating in the following activities:
- Congressman Raul Grijalva signed in support of the resolution to designate the National Adult Education and Family Literacy week for the seventh year. Congressman Grijalva is a steadfast supporter of Adult Education.
- On Sept 22nd, student leaders from PCC’s Adult Basic Education for College and Career division will do a voter registration drive at three adult learning centers as part of a college-wide celebration of National Voter Registration Day. At the 29th St. Coalition center, Selena Llamas from Expect More Arizona will open up the drive with inspiring facts that link education to voter turnout.
- Adult education students and graduates will post brief reflections about their “keys to success” on The Commission on Adult Basic Education (COABE)’s Facebook page. Student reflections will highlight the teachers, mentors or family members who encouraged or inspired them along their adult education journey.
- Adult education staff will welcome over 125 high school equivalency students at the New Student Orientations on September 22 at 9:00 a.m. and September 24 at 4:00 p.m., at Community Campus. The importance of civic involvement and student leadership in adult education will be highlighted as student leaders give personal testimony and share their digital stories of success.
- Instructors will implement reading-focused activities such as library tours, maximizing library resources, book reports and presentations.
Find more literacy facts at http://www.proliteracy.org/the-crisis/adult-literacy-facts.
For more information about PCC’s Adult Basic Education for College and Career (ABECC) classes, call (520) 206-3987. Learn more about the services provided here. here.